[mythtv-users] HD-PVR component video

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Jun 5 17:20:45 UTC 2008

Andrew Close wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>> Then you call and tell them your TV only has component inputs and
>> demand a box that you can use with your TV. They have to comply.
>
> just like they have to comply with a working IEEE1394 port ;)

The difference is hardly anyone has a TV with a working IEEE1394 port,
so disabling those doesn't cause problems for "normal" customers.  This
is definitely not the case for component outputs.

I suppose downscaling to 720 is possible, but the set-top boxes would
have to support it, and I don't know if they do.  I'm also not sure it
would be that big a deal; with the screen sizes and living room
furniture arrangements most people have, there's little visible
difference between 1080 and 720.