[mythtv-users] Success with 1080p on my setup!

Scott Harris mythtv at webhounds.net
Thu Jun 5 20:15:04 UTC 2008

I originally outlined my machine and problems with
playing 1080p in this thread ->

I finally bought the CoreAVC decoder and did the necessary
patches and recompile of mplayer.  Results are pretty
spectacular.

Load pre-patch with standard atrpms mplayer would hit 5
easy.  I would constantly get the "your cpu is too slow"
warnings as well.  With the coreavc stuff my load hovers
between .9 and 1.1 and multiple cpus are clearly used.
Playback is smooth and I can jump around in the video
with no issues.

I'm not affiliated with the coreavc stuff, and it took me
3 weeks to drop the whopping $15 to try it, but I'm
certainly glad I did.

I haven't patched mythtv yet, only because it would
make the upgrades harder.  It would be cool if they
could make the patch part of the mythtv code base,
so patching wouldn't be necessary.

Hope this info is useful to someone,

Scott