[mythtv-users] Firewire and F8

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 23:52:48 UTC 2008

Tim Fenn wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:26:09 -0400 Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Tim Fenn wrote:
>>
>>> I'm surprised no one has suggested trying to grab data off the
>>> firewire using test-mpeg2:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire#Test-mpeg2
>>>
>>> Try that using either the broadcast or p2p setup, and see if you get
>>> any data.  Once you get that working, then worry about the channel
>>> changing and mythtv setup.
>>>

>> Thanks for the tip Tim.  I was able to use test-mpeg2 to capture a
>> stream successfully, so I know my firewire is working properly.  I
>> also used Michael's suggestion about removing the channel changing
>> script from the Input connections in mythtv-setup, and that also
>> worked.  If I go into Watch TV and tune to a firewire channel, the
>> STB changes to that channel as Michael suggested.
>>
>> However, I get that "You should have gotten a channel lock by now"
>> message.  I actually get this on my DVB portion stations of my
>> pcHD5500 card too (on the OTA HD stations).  The analog V4L stations
>> on that card give me nothing but snow.
>>

> "channel lock" issues should should only arise on your analog input
> cards, not on the firewire.  You most likely just need to set your
> channels up correctly.  I can't really help much here, its mostly a game
> of setting up your antenna correctly, scanning for channels and
> checking them.  Good luck!
>
> -Tim

OK, here's what I can't figure out:  When I tune to a channel on source
1 or 2 (1 being the digital input of the pcHD5500 card and 2 being the
analog portion of that card), I get the channels.  If I tune a channel
that is associated with Firewire (which is source 3 in my channel info
section of Mythweb), the STB changes to that channel, and I get the "You
should have gotten a lock" message.

The thing that I'm a little suspicious of is when I go to my Backend
Status page of Mythweb, it shows Encoder 1, Encoder 2, Encoder 3, and
Encoder 6.  I know what 1, 2 and 3 are, but what's 6?  Furthermore, when
I had the initial problems with my Firewire, I saw errors in the backend
logs about "Card6 failed init".  Is it possible that there's a mismatch
here?  Should I delete all firewire sources/cards and re-enter them?

Here's my backend status:
Encoder 1 is local on HJDMyth and is not recording.
Encoder 2 is local on HJDMyth and is not recording.
Encoder 3 is local on HJDMyth and is not recording.
Encoder 6 is local on HJDMyth and is not recording.

Here's an example of what a Firewre channel is set to in my Channel Info
table:
sourceid       xmltvid      channum        callsign
name                   freqid
2                  11207            37            USA          USA
Network                37  *** ANALOG - Tunes fine ***
1                  19612          231            WPVIDT  Local
ABC                    231  *** DIGITAL - Tunes fine ***
3                  58452          222            USAHD    USA Network
HD        222  *** FIREWIRE - Fails To Tune***

Thanks,
Harry