[mythtv-users] Firewire and F8

Tim Fenn fenn at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 6 00:51:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 19:52:48 -0400 Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Tim Fenn wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:26:09 -0400 Harry Devine
> > <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the tip Tim.  I was able to use test-mpeg2 to capture a
> >> stream successfully, so I know my firewire is working properly.  I
> >> also used Michael's suggestion about removing the channel changing
> >> script from the Input connections in mythtv-setup, and that also
> >> worked.  If I go into Watch TV and tune to a firewire channel, the
> >> STB changes to that channel as Michael suggested.
> >>
> >> However, I get that "You should have gotten a channel lock by now"
> >> message.  I actually get this on my DVB portion stations of my
> >> pcHD5500 card too (on the OTA HD stations).  The analog V4L
> >> stations on that card give me nothing but snow.
> >>

> > "channel lock" issues should should only arise on your analog input
> > cards, not on the firewire.  You most likely just need to set your
> > channels up correctly.  I can't really help much here, its mostly a
> > game of setting up your antenna correctly, scanning for channels and
> > checking them.  Good luck!
> >

> OK, here's what I can't figure out:  When I tune to a channel on
> source 1 or 2 (1 being the digital input of the pcHD5500 card and 2
> being the analog portion of that card), I get the channels.  If I
> tune a channel that is associated with Firewire (which is source 3 in
> my channel info section of Mythweb), the STB changes to that channel,
> and I get the "You should have gotten a lock" message.
>
> The thing that I'm a little suspicious of is when I go to my Backend
> Status page of Mythweb, it shows Encoder 1, Encoder 2, Encoder 3, and
> Encoder 6.  I know what 1, 2 and 3 are, but what's 6?  Furthermore,
> when I had the initial problems with my Firewire, I saw errors in the
> backend logs about "Card6 failed init".  Is it possible that there's
> a mismatch here?  Should I delete all firewire sources/cards and
> re-enter them?

Yeah, re-enter them.  For the time being, perhaps just add the firewire
connection to make things easy.  Also make sure the video sources are
assigned to the proper input connections. And attach the backend log
when you try to watch something on the firewire, that would help figure
out the problem.

-Tim

--
CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL OF AWESOMNESS