[mythtv-users] mythfrontend unresponsive after inactivity

Justin Nolan hondacrxsi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 01:44:28 UTC 2008

> > I have the same issue. For me changing to static images rather
> than the
> > preview video fixed it however I dislike that option and now just
> make
> > sure that I dont leave it on that screen.
>
> Yeah, thats what I suspected. As I mentioned, there was a bug in the
> code before with regard to live previews. When deleting the last video
> from the list, it would hang because I was waiting for a condition to
> be met, but the function that set that condition would only get called
> if there was a video to render. I fixed that bug. When I first saw
> this hanging-after-idle topic mentioned a few months ago, I suspected
> it was a similar scenario, but I was never able to replicate it on my
> system, thus I couldn't debug it.
>
> One possibility that just occurred to me...did you have a screen saver
> enabled when this problem would occur? I have the screen saver
> disabled, but Justin said he is using one. Perhaps that is part of the
> necessary conditions.
>
> Also, if it's related to the same bug I fixed, one of the features of
> that bug was that it wasn't actually frozen. It just appeared frozen.
> If you alt-tabbed between different windows a few times, it would
> eventually unfreeze itself. Can one of you give that a try and see if
> it unfreezes it? If so, then that really helps to pinpoint the problem
> as being another variation of the same bug.

Nope, I've always only used still frame previews. I do have a
screensaver set now... but only because I disabled power management,
which put the screen to sleep I believe before the screensaver would
kick in. I need one or the other since I have a crt rptv and want to
avoid burn in.

So I can rule out live preview causing the issue... need to
investigate the screensaver and power management more.