[mythtv-users] Sloooow database

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Fri Jun 6 16:10:06 UTC 2008

Hey everyone, here's something I've put up with for a long time and
thought I'd try to resolve it. I'm using the release-21-fixes branch
of mythtv with a separate backend and frontend. The mysql database on
the backend (version 5.0.30) is so slow, especially when selecting
from the program table. Flipping pages in the program guide takes over
5 seconds at times. Bringing up the Program Finder sometimes takes
over 30 seconds to become useable. Showing New Titles in the scheduler
can take almost as long. Is this normal?

I run the optimize_database script every day. Right after running it,
things seem more responsive but it quickly degrades back to its
normally slow state. Maybe I'm missing an index or something?

Any hints appreciated, thanks. By the way, my backend machine is an
athlon xp 2200. At present there are just over 118,000 rows in my
program table. It has primary keys on chanid, starttime and manualid
and secondary keys on endtime, title, previouslyshown,
title_pronounce, seriesid and programid. I have tuned the mysql
parameters to match the ones in messages from this list.

Curtis