[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 18:45:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:
> I have a similar software raid question. I didn't think it warranted a new
> thread. I got some new drives and I am going to switch my mythtv system over
> to software raid. I would like to do it without doing a clean install. I
> have a backup drive with enough space to hold everything from my current
> system. Would it be best to make a dd image or use rsync to copy my current
> system onto a backup drive? Are there any special settings I need to use to
> make sure everything copied and restored properly? Then I can repartition my
> drives and set them up in a raid array. Then copy my stuff back onto the new
> raid array. I know I will need to edit /etc/fstab to make sure everything is
> getting mounted in the right spots. Are there other things that need to be
> attended to when transfering a complete system over to software raid like
> this?

I have moved installed operating systems in linux many times using a
variety of different tools but in your case I would use rsync with at
minimum the following parameters: -ax --progress

After the copy you will have to copy or recreate the /dev nodes and
setup grub on the new array and adjust your /etc/fstab if necissary.

John