[mythtv-users] OT: Backplane Modules

J.D. mythtv at demuth.homelinux.org
Fri Jun 6 20:40:59 UTC 2008

joe.white at wachovia.com wrote:

> A little over a year ago, I bought an IcyDock 5 bay back plane module
> [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994028 ] to
> house my hopefully-impending software raid array.  In setting up the
> box I started getting the error "Hardware Initiate failed, please
> check device!!! The BIOS does not be installed, press <g> to continue"
> [verbatim quote] upon boot.  Sometimes before that message, the text
> describing a random drive would become garbled, or the a HD would
> simply not show up in the list.  Through the process of elimination, I
> discovered that removing the backplane also removed the errors.
>
> I am trying to figure if I just have a freak bad module, or if another
> brand would be preferable.  Thoughts?
>
> Joe
The ICY Dock back plane modules had a design flaw that caused issues. In
my case the computer wouldn't even post. I had two of them replaced
under warrenty (1x5-bay,1x3-bay). ICY Dock introduced a revised version
after which I didn't hear complaints. All of mine are working fine since
the replacement.