[mythtv-users] Mythtv on PS3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 7 02:31:27 UTC 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 18:30:26 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > My PS3 draws over 200 watts at idle, more if you ask it to do something.
> > Bit much for a F/E IMHO.
> > My PS3 draws over 200 watts at idle, more if you ask it to do something.
> > Bit much for a F/E IMHO.
>
> Yeah good point, it really does throw out some heat too (whatever you do
> don't try putting it in a cabinet, mine's overheated 4 times already, I've
> resorted to standing it on the (wooden) floor next to the TV) and the fan
> is, well not noisy but loud enough to be intrusive I find. Also, since Sony
> refuse to open up the graphics card you're stuck with no hardware
> acceleration in linux. I tried ubuntu on mine a while back but it wouldn't
> even play DivX without stuttering. Shame, because in terms of raw
> processing power it's the biggest bang-for-the-buck money can buy right
> now, it's just crippled running anything other than Son'y OS. Might be
> worth a go if you've got a nice HD TV and some time on your hands, but
> otherwise I'd forget the idea.

I put YellowDog on mine when I first got it. I was able to play the HD version
of "Elephant's Dream" smoothly with mplayer. Didn't really investigate past
that point back then, but now that I have this new 1212...

But you're right, being limited to frame buffer graphics pretty well sucks. It
does do things like transcodes quickly, but the other limitation is
non-expandable RAM, which limits even that.

At the time I bought it it was the cheapest Blu-Ray drive available (might
still be for all I know), and had a nifty little computer thrown in :-)

beww