[mythtv-users] LMSc

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Sat Jun 7 21:53:24 UTC 2008

Pepijn Schmitz wrote:
> I recently installed MythTV 0.21 on my Ubuntu Server 8.04. It has a
> TechnoTrend Budget C-1500 (DVB-C) card with a Multicrypt CAM which has
> worked perfectly with MythTV 0.20 on Fedora Core 5 so far, but now I'm
> having trouble.
>
> Very often when tuning to a new channel when watching live TV I will get
> the letters LMS. which will after a few seconds turn into LMSc and then
> nothing more will happen. When it gets into this state it usually starts
> doing it for any channel I try to tune to, but when I try often enough
> it sometimes clears up and will tune to a channel it previously
> couldn't. If I restart the backend the situation usually clears up for a
> while (I can tune to a channel which wouldn't work before the restart).
>
> This is annoying enough, but even more frustrating is that it also
> happens when recording scheduled programs! The symptom is that the
> recording appears to start fine, but when I try to start the recorded
> program in the frontend I get the message "the recorded file cannot be
> found" (I'm paraphrasing), and sure enough if I look in my recordings
> directory there is no corresponding mpg file and nothing has been
> recorded. (I don't actually know whether this is the same problem, but
> it does seem likely.) It does this about half the time, which is
> extremely frustrating. I've already missed many programs I would very
> much liked to have seen...
>
> This didn't happen at all with version 0.20, recording scheduled
> programs was rock solid in that version, so it must have something to do
> with changes in version 0.21 (or possibly the OS since I also went from
> Fedora Core 5 to Ubuntu Server 8.04). I'm hoping the good people on this
> list can help me find out what's going on. I have a couple of specific
> questions:
>
> * What does the C in LMSC stand for (for that matter, what do the other
> letters mean)?
L Lock
> * Why didn't version 0.20 have the C?
c crypted NOT able to decrypt
C crypted and able to decrypt
> * Can I turn off whatever it is the C stands for? 0.20 didn't have it,
> and it also didn't have this problem, so apparently it's something I
> don't need and can cause problems.
Yes you need it and can't be turned off
> * What can I do to generate more debugging or logging information in
> order to investigate this problem further?
Probably you used your .20 database which was upgraded to .21.
Rescanning your channels might improve matters.
Another option is the .21-fixes version and also rescanning. With DVB-S
I also had these troubles.

Henk Schoneveld