[mythtv-users] MythTV on AppleTV

btsglw btsglw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 11:51:50 UTC 2008

2008/6/8 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
> I've spent the last two days trying to get MythTV Frontend installed
> on my AppleTV. Has anyone been able to do this? I've followed every
> set of instructions I've found about getting Linux installed on
> AppleTV - even the ones that take you through booting into linux and
> end with "Ok, now install the Linux distro of your choice and you're
> all done!". Argh!
>
> Anyway, I'm at the point where I can boot the AppleTV either on its
> own or with a USB drive and get to the penbuntu login prompt. I can
> log in as root. I can format file systems, mount file systems, etc. I
> have a partition on my USB drive with the contents of the
> MythBuntu .iso copied onto it.
>
> To get this far, I followed: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/BootingLiveCD
>
> Then I followed the instructions to get the MythBuntu install to
> launch correctly. Then I went through the steps of installing
> MythBuntu following these directions:
> http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/InstallMythBuntu
> The Post Install Fixes instructions were a little confusing because
> while I was using a USB drive to boot, I installed onto the internal
> drive of the AppleTV.
>
> Anyway, the process appeared to finish correctly. I reboot the machine
> and it drops me to the same penbuntu login prompt as I got before I
> started the install. WTF? What now?
> Any other tips from people who have done this? I've installed about 5
> times now with Debian, Ubuntu, MythBuntu and they all have their own
> issues. If someone has some solid instructions on how to do this from
> beginning to end with a USB drive I would love to hear it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

Hi Brad,

I've just gone through this process myself.

On the USB pendrive edit the file com.apple.Boot.plist and change

<string>atv-boot=none video=vesafb</string>

back to

<string>atv-boot=auto video=vesafb</string>

This will make the boot process search for grub on any installed disks
and should load your installed distro.

HTH

Ver