[mythtv-users] System upgrade - 150 (200) to spend

Gordon McCrae gordon-mccrae at bluebottle.com
Sun Jun 8 20:50:41 UTC 2008

Damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It's a LONG time since I built a machine and I'm completely out of touch
> with recent technology so I'd really appreciate some advice on upgrading
> my Myth system.
>
> Current system:
> 1.2 Gig Athlon CPU
> 512 mb memory
> Abit KT7-raid motherboard
> Nvidia 5200 graphics card with DVI out
> 300Gb IDE hard drive
> A nice powerful PSU (due to old one needing replacing earlier in the year)
> A BenQ W100 projector (native 16:9 resolution - 854x480 - I feed it a
> 1280x720 signal)
>
> Reason for upgrade:
> Computer can't cope with the latest version of Ubuntu and I want to
> stick with Ubuntu/Mythbuntu to provide me with an easy(ish) path to
> keeping up to date with MythTV.
>
> What needs upgrading:
> CPU (+fan)
> Motherboard
> Memory (2 gig?)
> Graphics card? (I understand many motherboards come with graphics on
> board these days .. not sure if that's what I want)
> Hard drive? (I'd rather not change hard drives unless I have to, but
> I've been told that many motherboards these days don't have IDE so maybe
> it's time to change?)
>
> System use:
> -Main network server for the house which lives in the garage (so it
> doesn't have to be 'silent')
> -Main FE/BE for mythtv. Several frontends are on the network, but not
> used much when this system is working well.
> -Connected to a projector via DVI.
> -The projector has native res of 854x480 so HD is not an issue at the
> moment. I'm not sure when I will get around to upgrading my projector.
> It would be good to have a system capable of HD when I get the projector
> for it, but I don't really want to pay extra for a feature that I don't
> need for the foreseeable future.
>
> Funds:
> As ever, I'd like to spend as little as possible. I'm hoping that 150
> will get me a decent upgrade, but can stretch to 200 if needed.
>
> Notes:
> -Setting up the correct resolution with my projector was a nightmare,
> however I did get there in the end with this nvidia card (before the
> ubuntu update broke everything). So, if I buy a motherboard with
> graphics on board, I feel like sticking with nvidia unless someone has a
> really good reason not to.
> -As I'm spending on an upgrade, I'd like to really feel the benefit if
> possible. Compis spinny cubes don't mean much, but I like them. Those
> effects are lovely on my laptop. They worked on this current system, but
> it was a struggle so I turned them off.
> -The machine is generally left on all of the time, but I'd like the
> option of setting turn on and turn off times and letting Myth control
> this sometimes. Does that narrow down my motherboard choices significantly?
> [...]
You could do worse than checking out Novatech
(http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/barebones.html), for 150 you'll get
Core2 Duo E2180 / 2Gb built and tested, all you need to do is add
optical and storage drives. Alternatively for 200, you could get a Dual
Core E4600 / 2Gb. You can get cheaper again from overclockers, but then
the onus is more on you to ensure you've matched components etc., and
you've already said it's been a while .....

Gordon