[mythtv-users] Pop up message while in menus or when using internal player.

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 08:47:02 UTC 2008

> Trying to find out if there is a way to pop up a message while in the menus
> or when using internal player? I have script that 'watches' for buttons
> pressed on the remote, if nothing is pressed for 2 hours it will put the
> FrontEnd's in sleep mode. I am trying to find a way to popup a message
> letting someone know to press a button if they don't want the FE to go to
> sleep. I know about mythtvosd, but if I recall this only works while
> watching tv.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

mythtvosd works also while watching movies and recordings.

but you could solve that "problem" the way I did. I run xscreensaver
with a 20 minutes timeout. screensaver should turn on after 20
minutes. But instead of turning the screensaver on, I sent my mythbox
to sleep.

Important if you have frontend/backend on the same box: you have to
check first whether you box is doing something (recording, receiving
epg, transcoding...)

I do not remember all the details of my script, but this it the main
part. The timeout can be set in ~/.xscreensaverrc of your mythfronend
users.

#!/usr/bin/perl

open (IN, "xscreensaver-command -watch |");
while (<IN>) {
    if (m/^(BLANK)/) {
            ## go to sleep, shutdown or whatever
    }