[mythtv-users] XvMC does not work on 720p!?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jun 10 02:07:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Comments <comments at mecworks.com> wrote:
> Hi, I recently tried both an nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE and a Geforce 6200
> and have been pretty much unable to get XvMC working at all.
>
> I'm using OpenSuse 10.3 i586 with mythtv 0.21-9 from Packman and I'm
> using the 173.14.05 NVidia drivers from NVidia's site (I have also tried
> the 169 ones from the opensuse nvidia repository with the same results).
>  I have a projector that supports native 720p and it displays perfectly
> using the DVI out on either card.  However, I have not been able to get
> XvMC working with either card except for once (and it hasn't worked since).
>
> The one time it did work, I was using the 5700LE and I had the output
> (1024x768) going to an LCD panel using the VGA out.  It worked using
> mplayer for a couple tries.  Then once I got it working, I thought it
> was all good, switched back to the projector in 720p, and have not been
> able to get it working again since.
>
> I have the following in the Device section of the xorg.conf:
>
>     Option         "NvAGP" "1"
>     Option         "UseEvents" "true"
>     Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
>
> and I have libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 in  /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
>
> So, I'm really stuck on this whole thing and don't know what to do.
> Apparently, XvMC *can* work. I'm wondering if it will work with 720p
> native or if I have to use a "standard" computer resolution and if
> there's anything else I am missing to get this working.
>
> --
> Marc

I got XvMC working on my 720p projector with the following xorg.conf
file.  Hope this helps you.

Allen

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Panasonic AX-100"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 49.0
    VertRefresh     24.0 - 61.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Generic Video Card"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "DPI" "100x100"
    Option         "UseEvents" "1"
    Option         "AddARGBVisuals" "1"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
    Option         "NoLogo" "1"
    Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
    Option         "NVAGP" "1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 6200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Generic Video Card"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1280x720 +0+0; 720x480 +0+0; 800x600 +0+0; 640x4
80 +0+0"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disabled"