[mythtv-users] I want a slower network, at least temporarily

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Jun 10 16:04:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, June 10, 2008 8:56 am, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 04:41:08PM +0200, belcampo wrote:
>> Strange question isn't it, everyone seeking for speed.
>> For testing a parallel-filesystem, like 3 PC's in a RAID-0 configuration
>> over ethernet, I would like to limit the network-speed to what is here,
>> in the Netherlands, available as upload-speed with ADSL being 1Mb.
>>
>> I've seen eththool instructions, but that way I can only go as low as
>> 10Mb.
>>
>> Anyone any idea how to do this ?
>
> You might want to look at a thing called iprelay.
>
> (I gather there are two similar things with the same name...)

Way OT, but ISTR that iptables and something else (tc? tcroute? something
or other) allows for the construction of specific bandwidth allotment on
an interface.  Google for traffic+shaping+iptables and that should get you
a couple of dozen HOWTOs.

--Yan

--
  o__

As long as nobody gets hurt, a decent explosion livens up any experiment.