[mythtv-users] XvMC does not work on 720p!?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jun 10 16:33:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Marc Christensen <comments at mecworks.com> wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> I got XvMC working on my 720p projector with the following xorg.conf
>> file.  Hope this helps you.
>>
>> Allen
> [snip]
>> Section "Device"
>>     Identifier     "Generic Video Card"
>>     Driver         "nvidia"
>>     Option         "DPI" "100x100"
>>     Option         "UseEvents" "1"
>>     Option         "AddARGBVisuals" "1"
>>     Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
>>     Option         "NoLogo" "1"
>>     Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
>>     Option         "NVAGP" "1"
>> EndSection
> [snip]
>>
>> Section "Extensions"
>>     Option         "Composite" "Disabled"
>> EndSection
>
> Thanks Allen,
>
> My xorg.conf is now similar with the same options (my current xorg.conf
> can be found here: http://monoport.com/17516 ).  XvMC still doesn't work
> for me.  With mplayer, I get less than a second of sound then it locks
> with a black screen which is similar to what happens in MythTV.
>
> I'm using the following to test xvmc using mplayer to play a high-def video:
>
> XVMC_DEBUG=2 mplayer -vo xvmc:bobdeint:queue \
>                      -vc ffmpeg12mc \
>                      -ao alsa:device=spdif \
>                      movie.mpg
>
> The output of mplayer is here:  http://monoport.com/17517
>
> I don't really see an error in that output aside from the "[ASPECT]
> Warning: No suitable new res found!".  If I try with a standard def
> video, which fits on the screen, I don't get that error, but I get the
> same results - I get less than a second of sound and mplayer locks up.
>
> Here's my mplayer version info:
> MPlayer 1.0rc2-SUSE Linux 10.3 (i686)-Packman-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2007
> MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
>
> Here's my ffmpeg version info:
> media:~ # ffmpeg -version
> FFmpeg version SVN-r13435, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
>   configuration: --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
> --libdir=/usr/lib --shlibdir=/usr/lib --enable-pthreads --enable-shared
> --enable-swscale --disable-static --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad
> --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-libx264
> --enable-liba52 --enable-liba52bin --enable-postproc --enable-shared
> --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libtheora --enable-gpl
>   libavutil version: 49.6.0
>   libavcodec version: 51.57.0
>   libavformat version: 52.14.0
>   libavdevice version: 52.0.0
>   built on May 26 2008 19:22:14, gcc: 4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)
> FFmpeg SVN-r13435
> libavutil   3212800
> libavcodec  3356928
> libavformat 3411456
> libavdevice 3407872

> [...]

I looked at your xorg.conf file from the reference you gave.  These
things are a little confusing still to me but if I were you I would
take out the second set of specs so I was sure you were using the
display and screen you have correctly specified.  I had the same
problem when I let the nvidia configure program install a setting.  My
edits were in there but the system was not using them as it was using
the second set that the nvidia driver installed without the NvAGP, for
example.

Bottom line is that if myth picks screen0 instead of screen[0] it will
do what you are saying so I would just remove the one you don't want
as a test.  Back it up first :)

Hope I don't have that backward but you can figure that out.

Allen