[mythtv-users] Sloooow database

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Tue Jun 10 17:45:39 UTC 2008

On 9-Jun-08, at 4:50 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>> While I don't do any transcoding, I do run commflagging on my backend
>> machine which has only 512MB ram.  I've never had any performance
>> issues of any sort.
>
> Yes, you have. Your database is Sloooow. Just look at the subject
> line. ;)

Tom is not the OP, I am and yes, my database is Sloooow. I do
commflagging but nothing else on my backend.
I also have quite a few programs in my program table (over 100,000 at
any one time)

>> One factor in this however may be the fact that I'm doing only OTA,
>> so
>> I have a really small number of channels and corresponding guide
>> data.
>> I'd imagine that's a factor for at least some DB activity, especially
>> scheduling.
>
> Are you downloading your listings or using EIT scanning? If you're
> constantly inserting new records into the database from EIT data, that
> would explain the db hit.

I always download my listings from schedulesdirect.org at suggested
times.

>> When I built this machine I fully planned on adding ram, but after I
>> got it going I never saw any reason.  I've never even seen the 'free'
>> command show any significant sign of swapping actually.  Same for my
>> frontend actually...even watching HD I don't see it using more than
>> half of its 512MB.
>
> With recording, watching HD, web access, commflagging and ipod
> transcoding, even I swap with 2GB of RAM:
> [mythtv at mythtv ~]$ free
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:       2075180    1726184     348996          0      12792
> 1123212
> -/+ buffers/cache:     590180    1485000
> Swap:      2031608    1037356     994252

I'm not sure how cheap RAM is for this box. It seems to get more
expensive the older your box is. I'll look into it but I'm doubtful
that this is the cause as I don't see any swapping.