[mythtv-users] Sloooow database

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 16:25:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Curtis Stanford
<curtis at stanfordcomputing.com> wrote:

> On 9-Jun-08, at 4:50 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>

>> On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>>> While I don't do any transcoding, I do run commflagging on my backend
>>> machine which has only 512MB ram.  I've never had any performance
>>> issues of any sort.
>>
>> Yes, you have. Your database is Sloooow. Just look at the subject
>> line. ;)
>>

> Tom is not the OP, I am and yes, my database is Sloooow. I do
> commflagging but nothing else on my backend.
> I also have quite a few programs in my program table (over 100,000 at
> any one time)

Yes!..thanks for clearing that up.  Not only do I not have a slow
database, everything it does is, for all intents and purposes,
instantaneous.  If I run "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all" the database
rescheduling part at the end literally blows by as fast as it can
write to the console.

I'm not trying to be evangelical about starving your machine for ram
or anything :D...just pointing out that I've had no need to upgrade
from 526MB.

My program table has about 28000 records at any one time, but I have
to tell you 10000 rows in a mysql table is nothing.  That shouldn't be
a big issue even if something was doing a fair amount of non-indexed
table scans.  I occasionally use an old IBM thinkpad for web
development with apache and mysql etc installed under Gentoo.  Believe
it or not, that machine is a lowly 700 Mhz P-III with 256MB of ram and
it handled one project I was working on with a 3 million row table
without much trouble at all.

I have very little compiled into my Gentoo kernels that I don't
need...maybe that's a help, though I can't believe it's a big factor.
A modular kernel with only the modules you need loaded should be about
as good I'd think.

I don't know if it was discussed anywhere in this thread before, but
is the file system that your database files reside on possibly getting
close to full or anything?

Tom