[mythtv-users] Sloooow database

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Wed Jun 11 18:09:19 UTC 2008

On 11-Jun-08, at 10:25 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> I'm not trying to be evangelical about starving your machine for ram
> or anything :D...just pointing out that I've had no need to upgrade
> from 526MB.
>
> My program table has about 28000 records at any one time, but I have
> to tell you 10000 rows in a mysql table is nothing.  That shouldn't be
> a big issue even if something was doing a fair amount of non-indexed
> table scans.  I occasionally use an old IBM thinkpad for web
> development with apache and mysql etc installed under Gentoo.  Believe
> it or not, that machine is a lowly 700 Mhz P-III with 256MB of ram and
> it handled one project I was working on with a 3 million row table
> without much trouble at all.
>
> I have very little compiled into my Gentoo kernels that I don't
> need...maybe that's a help, though I can't believe it's a big factor.
> A modular kernel with only the modules you need loaded should be about
> as good I'd think.
>
> I don't know if it was discussed anywhere in this thread before, but
> is the file system that your database files reside on possibly getting
> close to full or anything?

Actually it's over 100,000 rows. Still, mysql should handle it OK. My
file system has plenty of space. After looking some more at it, I
think it may be swapping a little bit. What my.cnf settings do you
use? I think mine are a little high for 512M. I'm using Brad's setting
right now:

key_buffer = 32M
table_cache = 256
sort_buffer_size = 4M