[mythtv-users] myth 0.21 and ATI video resolution issue

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:07:19 UTC 2008

On 12/06/2008, J. Addington <last_atarian at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
>  I've been using Myth for a few years and have built a couple of machines for it but I always use NVIDIA cards.  I happen to have a machine that already had an ATI card in it so I decided to try it.  Most everything works now except that when I change channels from a station that broadcasts in HD to one that is in SD or vice-versa, the resolution in the playback doesn't change properly and the image is all distorted.  However, once that occurs, I can go to the program guide and then back to the full-screen and it then goes to a normal picture. Or I can exit to the main menu and then back to TV and it will also work fine.
>
>  I've searched the net and found some others with the same issue, but no solutions.  One I found is here:
>  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/335176
>
>  I know it's likely an issue with ATI's buggy proprietary drivers but I am hoping there is some sort of work-around someone is aware of for the time being?
>
>  Using:
>  Myth 0.21
>  ATI X300 (ATI Proprietary Drivers v8.5)
>  Pinnacle HDTV PCI
>  Linux kernel 2.6.25.3

Have you tried using the open-source radeon driver as a stop-gap? It
supports your X300 card:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Open_source_drivers, but I can't say
how it will handle HDTV (although it does have Xv support, so if your
CPU is beefy enough, it could work).

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: