[mythtv-users] OT: Grrr Motherboards!

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 12 22:04:43 UTC 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 22:10:05 Damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Sorry to start ANOTHER thread, but I feel I should whenever it's a new
> question I'm asking. Let me know if I'm pissing anyone off.
>
> Last night, I was pretty much decided on the ASUS M2N-VM DVI
> motherboard. Then I read about lots of problems with the on board LAN.
> No problem I thought, if it messes me about, I'll just use my current
> PCI Lan card! Then I realised that there are only two PCI slots on most
> of these microATX boards and I need both of them for my two Nova-T tuners.
>
> So, change of thought .. I don't really want microATX. I've got a huge
> ugly ATX case hidden away in the garage so I don't need scrimp on PCI
> and IDE slots etc.
>
> Then I started to search for standard sized ATX boards with graphics on
> board (as I only have an AGP 5200 card currently). A good friend of mine
> found one for me (Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H
> <http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4LYB&CategorySelectedId=11143&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11143,405090000,356410000,42190000>)
>
> but unfortunately, it still only have 2 PCI slots, and it's ATI that's
> on board. My projector took me months and lots of peoples help to get
> working right with the nvidia drivers to I daren't try it with ATI. I
> feel like sticking with nvidia.
>
> So, not I'm thinking I should just get a motherboard without graphics on
> board and just buy a cheap 7000 series nvidia card or something. It'll
> probably push the price of the whole upgrade up (CPU, heat sync,
> motherboard, memory and now graphics card), but seems to be the best way
> to go.
>
> That opens up everything again, so I'd love a bit of advice to narrow
> down my search.
>
> I keep yo-yo'ing between AMD and Intel, so feel free to recommend
> either. I get the feeling that Intel has the edge, but AMD gives you
> more performance for your money at the mid price range (which is where
> I'm looking at).
>
> I promise to stop asking about hardware soon :-)
>
> Cheers all
> Damian

I agree, just get a cheap PCI-Express NVIDIA card and bung it in a new motherboard. The only thing I would be wary of is that most graphics cards will have a fan and/or big heatsink on them that almost invariably obscures the neighbouring slot, so you need to plan for this.

I'm using a Gigabyte board which has 3 PCI-E, one PCI-Ex16 (which has my NVIDIA card in it) and 3 PCI slots. The graphics card obscures one of the PCE-E slots but all 3 PCI slots are useable. If you want to know the model number let me know and I'll have the case off and have a look.

Mark