[mythtv-users] OT: Grrr Motherboards!

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 22:34:15 UTC 2008

Damian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Sorry to start ANOTHER thread, but I feel I should whenever it's a new
> question I'm asking. Let me know if I'm pissing anyone off.
>
> Last night, I was pretty much decided on the ASUS M2N-VM DVI
> motherboard. Then I read about lots of problems with the on board LAN.
> No problem I thought, if it messes me about, I'll just use my current
> PCI Lan card! Then I realised that there are only two PCI slots on most
> of these microATX boards and I need both of them for my two Nova-T tuners.
>
> So, change of thought .. I don't really want microATX. I've got a huge
> ugly ATX case hidden away in the garage so I don't need scrimp on PCI
> and IDE slots etc.
>
> Then I started to search for standard sized ATX boards with graphics on
> board (as I only have an AGP 5200 card currently). A good friend of mine
> found one for me (Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H
> <http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4LYB&CategorySelectedId=11143&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11143,405090000,356410000,42190000>)
>
> but unfortunately, it still only have 2 PCI slots, and it's ATI that's
> on board. My projector took me months and lots of peoples help to get
> working right with the nvidia drivers to I daren't try it with ATI. I
> feel like sticking with nvidia.
>
> So, not I'm thinking I should just get a motherboard without graphics on
> board and just buy a cheap 7000 series nvidia card or something. It'll
> probably push the price of the whole upgrade up (CPU, heat sync,
> motherboard, memory and now graphics card), but seems to be the best way
> to go.
>
> That opens up everything again, so I'd love a bit of advice to narrow
> down my search.
>
> I keep yo-yo'ing between AMD and Intel, so feel free to recommend
> either. I get the feeling that Intel has the edge, but AMD gives you
> more performance for your money at the mid price range (which is where
> I'm looking at).
>
> I promise to stop asking about hardware soon :-)
>
> Cheers all
> Damian

Ok, I've just had another look on aria and here's a potential shopping list:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.50GHz (Retail AM2)
(I should maybe go a bit slower to save a few pounds, but feeling greedy)

Gigabyte GA M56S-S3 AM2 Motherboard
or
MSI K9N NEO-F V3 Socket AM2 Motherboard
(any thoughts on which?)

Corsair 2GB PC2-6400 XMS2 (2x1GB)
(probably don't even need 2gig, but should leave me future proof for a
little while.)

MSI GeForce 7300GT 256MB PCI-E DDR2
(could get one of the cheaper ones .. didn't spend a lot of time looking
at options. Didn't go for fanless based on sound, more on energy
consumption grounds)

How's that looking.
More expensive than the on board graphics option, but leave me more
sorted I think.

Damian