[mythtv-users] TV Out with Live TV

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jun 13 14:24:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I've just succeeded in getting my Nvidia TV Out working (in TwinView  Clone mode) on my frontend (A Sony VAIO, Core II Duo 2GHz Nvidia 8400 512MB). The backend is a 1.8GHz Athlon and they're connected by 100MBit ethernet. I've noticed that I'm getting a fair amount of what you might call 'lag' on the output picture. It looks as if the computer can't quite keep up - fast moving sections glitch occasionally, or go 'wobbly' as if it hasn't finished drawing one frame before the next frame starts. It can't be overloading the processor, surely? Or can it? I guess it's a laptop graphics card but even so...
>
> The TV resolution is different from the laptop's native flat panel resolution (TV is 1024x768, laptop is 1280x800) so I'm running the whole thing using a MetaMode which has set both of them to 1024x768, so I guess the graphics card is having to do some work rescaling the picture (it stretches it to fit the laptop screen). The wierd thing is that when I'm running Myth, the picture has the correct aspect ratio on both screens !!??!!
>
> So what does Myth do in the situation where there are two displays in use? Is there more processing going on that might slow it down? Is there a way I can run this with the laptop screen disabled? Anybody have any other ideas?
>
> Mark

I had much better luck with two independent displays, not twinview.
Twinview uses too much CPU resource.  Just start separate instances of
mythfrontend on each screen.  Use the mouse to switch but only watch
TV on one monitor at a time.

This works much better than twinview.  The only issue I have with it
is having to use a mouse to switch between screens.

Specifically, when you start myth, you will have mythfrontend on your
main monitor and the other will be blank blue.  Move the mouse to the
blank one, right click, and start another instance of mythfrontend.
You can then use either instance of myth and the other one will just
sit there using no CPU.   You may have to configure xorg.conf to get
the displays to both come up.

Allen