[mythtv-users] Mac Mini or PS3 best for 1080p FE

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 13 20:20:22 UTC 2008

On 06/13/2008 11:03 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2008 08:59:06 Greg Lake wrote:
>> I think if you do a search in the Mythtv list you will find out that the
>> PS3 is power hungry..I seen a post earlier  that said it draws over 200
>> watts at idle... You can find the thread at:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/336648?search_string=ps3;#336648
> Yep, my Kill-a-Watt says my PS3 draws 205 watts at idle.
>
> In fact, CNN ran a story yesterday pointing out that a PS3 costs more to run
> in terms of power than a large refrigerator,

Yeah.  It should be /at least/ 3 times as much as a large refrigerator.
It's 5 times as much as a medium-sized (12 cubic foot volume) refrigerator.

But I have to say that's not bad for CNN.  Almost a full 2 weeks after
Choice published their results before CNN picked up on it.  Usually, the
popular media snaps up on these "shocker statistics" (which generally
present only a part of the story).

>  though I guess that's assuming
> you ran your PS3 24/7.

That being the part they don't present.

See the links in my post at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/336730#336730 (where
I also had the same complaint about the 24/7 thing).

Mike