[mythtv-users] Out of nowhere, cpu is now cooler

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:29:17 UTC 2008

> I recently switched to mythbuntu 8.04, and all of a sudden, my temps never
> go above 39 degrees celcius when at 100% cpu usage (100% on each core). The
> cpu fan, which is auto controlled by the motherboard/bios, never goes above
> 1600rpm. It's now hotter in the house than it was 6 months ago. I just don't
> get it.
>
> I mean, I'm not complaining…I'm even thinking of overclocking it now, but
> just don't want to mess anything up.
>
> But how and why could this be?

Possibly the lm_sensors configuration file has changed. And thus the
interpretation of the temps is different. The big problem is that with
lmsensors every motherboard although they may have the same sensors
chips the scale can be and is different so the default values probably
are not correct for your motherboard. Sometimes you can go to your
manufacturers web site for an accurate sensors.conf file but that is
not the norm. There are also some config files at the lmsensors web
page but these are only from a few motherboards.

John