[mythtv-users] Digital Signal seems to weaken sometimes

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 13:31:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given what your symptoms and assuming that you are using a coaxial connection, I
> would check to make sure the ground is connected on everything.   Check the TV
> antenna cable, check power to make sure it has a good proper ground.    I have
> seen antenna cables that don't have the ground connected at all and this does
> funny things to the signal.   I don't know what the power plugs look in AUS, but
> in the US there is a ground connection wire, and if you take a voltmeter and
> measure the resistant from power ground to antenna ground it should be pretty
> low (way less than 1ohm), if it is not either the power or the antenna has a bad
> ground connection and you will get all sorts of funny things happening.

Thanks Roger,

The adapters that do cause a problem do have a ground wire and the
ones that don't cause a problem don't have a ground wire.  The TV
itself doesn't have a ground wire.

That said, I did mess with the antenna cable in the loft when I was
putting some Cat5e cable in a couple of weeks ago for this frontend.
Which part of the coaxial cable would I need to check for a grounding
issue?  The inner core of the outer-shielding?

Thanks again,
Whytey