[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 15:00:06 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Mark Covington <markcov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well this could be excessively annoying.
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2008-06-12-cable-digital_N.htm
> http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2008/06/got_expanded_analog_cable_from_comcast_not_fo_1.html
>
> Comcast plans to drop all analog service by 2010 and other cable providers
> are expected to follow depending on how successful Comcast is.  Between
> Comcast's move to switched digital video and dropping analog service its
> going to be harder and harder to keep running a Mythtv box.
>
> It looks like a firewire connection out of a set-top-box might be the only
> route in the future unless some other options start appearing.  What are
> y'alls thoughts?
>
> Mark
>

> --

Correct me if I'm wrong (I actually am using only OTA), but isn't the
big question what stations they decide to encrypt?  Just switching
from analog to digital stations shouldn't be an issue for stations
they broadcast in clear QAM.

Given the cable companies track record though, I'm not sure I'd expect
too much unencrypted content.

Tom