[mythtv-users] enable hdmi over dvi

Wouter van Atteveldt wouter at 2at.nl
Mon Jun 16 11:48:57 UTC 2008

Dear James / Dear List,

> Further up in the log there should be a section where the monitor
> detection happens. Mine looks like this:
[...]
> (II) intel(0): Output TMDS connected
> (II) intel(0): Output TMDS using initial mode 1280x720
>
> What do you have?
> James.

I've attached the whole log gzipped. I am pasting some lines that I think might be relevant:

(II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" removed.
(II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" initialized.
(II) intel(0): Detected CH7009B chipset, vendor/device ID 0x85/0x17
(II) intel(0): I2C device "DVOI2C_E:CH7xxx TMDS Controller" registered at address 0xEC.
(II) intel(0): Output TMDS has no monitor section
[...]
(II) intel(0): I2C device "DVODDC_D:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
(II) intel(0): I2C device "DVODDC_D:ddc2" removed.
(II) intel(0): Output VGA connected
(II) intel(0): Output TMDS connected
(II) intel(0): Output VGA using initial mode 1280x1024
(II) intel(0): Output TMDS using initial mode 1280x800

So I guess I probably just misconfigured something. On advice from another website, I am using a very simple xorg.conf file and tried using xrandr to activate the second screen, but maybe that is what is causing the problem?

wva at huis:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"