[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 16 22:50:49 UTC 2008

On 06/16/2008 09:31 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Or more people need to vote with their wallets and cancel their cable
>> subscriptions, get an antenna, and show the cable co's how serious they
>> are about unencrypted TV.
> Yup...and every time my cable company calls asking why I only have
> their internet service I tell them all about it.  IR
> blasters...firewire out...all that BS...you can keep it.
>
> I know OTA isn't an option for some,

For those who feel that's the case, I /highly/ recommend trying out OTA
HDTV.  I could not (and still cannot) receive a single local analog
channel OTA even with my very nice (and very big) antenna mounted nice
and high (and in Florida where there's no such thing as hills).  However
/every/ single HDTV station in the area comes in with a very good
signal.  This is the beauty of the digital cliff--broadcasters no longer
have the "class-B reception" cop out.

>  but I also know that (in my area
> for example) OTA very much is an option that virtually nobody uses,
> even if they're aware of it.  As a matter of fact, most people give me
> funny looks when I tell them I'm receiving (let alone recording) HD TV
> off my antenna.

Yeah, a lot of people I know think I'm stealing TV because I'm getting
HDTV and don't have a monthly cable bill.

But, whatever.  I just think it's really nice of my local stations to
broadcast a signal just for me (as I'm the /only/ person in my area who
seems to have an antenna for TV).

> The simple fact of the matter is that just saying no is the _only_
> thing that will ever change the current state of pay TV.  Coming up
> with work-arounds and kludges to all their crap (or buying Hauppauge
> 1212s) certainly won't.

Agreed.

Mike