[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 16 22:57:27 UTC 2008

On 06/16/2008 11:14 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:
> On 6/16/08, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>>> Or more people need to vote with their wallets and cancel their cable
>>> subscriptions, get an antenna, and show the cable co's how serious they
>>> are about unencrypted TV.
>> The simple fact of the matter is that just saying no is the _only_
>> thing that will ever change the current state of pay TV.  Coming up
>> with work-arounds and kludges to all their crap (or buying Hauppauge
>> 1212s) certainly won't.
>>

> But, I don't see premium services like HBO, or cable/sat only services
> like FoodNetwork going OTA no matter how much pressure is put on them.
> I'd love to see particular cable services go OTA so I could record my
> .favorite programs OTA, but I don't see it happening at any time.

Right.  That's the part that convinces the cable co.  When you say
you're willing to forego the /one/ thing that cable provides that OTA
doesn't (a selection of premium--or even just non-local,
national--channels) because you're fed up with their encryption, you're
not trying to convince the premium channels to broadcast locally (we
don't have the bandwidth for that, anyway).  You're simply trying to
convince the cable company to get rid of the part that drove you
away--encryption.

Fine, you may argue, "But HBO (or, insert favorite "bad guy") tells my
cable company they /have/ to encrypt the channel," but if you and a
majority of other subscribers dropped cable service due to the
encryption, the cable company would--all of a sudden--be the
multi-billion dollar voice at the negotiating tables with HBO convincing
them to allow unencrypted distribution.

Mike