[mythtv-users] OT: 32bit or 64bit OS

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Tue Jun 17 01:49:10 UTC 2008

On 16-Jun-08, at 3:29 PM, Damian wrote:

> I'm about to get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.50GHz and do a
> clean install.
> Would you install the 32bit or 64bit version of Ubuntu (or I guess any
> Linux flavour)

In my case, I used 64bit just so I would *never* have to worry about
hitting a filesystem size limit. While I'm not sure if it still
applies, there was a limit of 2TB for a filesystem for older kernels
(or was it just for ext2?).

There should also be a performance increase as apps compiled for 64bit
can access double the number of registers on the processor. With 32
bit apps, even on a 64 bit processor you're limited to only 8 local
registers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd64#Architectural_features

--Andrew