[mythtv-users] Add Sleep menu command to Mythbuntu

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jun 17 18:19:12 UTC 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Ryan Pisani wrote:

>> I just added a sleep menu command to my Mythbuntu setup:
>
> Are you trying to accomplish "suspend" or just turn on the screen
> saver?
>

>>    <button>
>>      <type>SHUTDOWN</type>
>>      <text>Sleep</text>
>>      <action>EXEC gnome-screensaver-command -a</action>
>
> This command will only activate the screensaver, and I assume there is
> something that is resuming immediately after it attempts to start up.
> Maybe an IR keypress, or mouse event.

There's no keyboard or mouse attached to the machine. irw does not
report a keypress. Hence my confusion. If I issue the command from an
ssh session, it works correctly. Only when I activate it from the Myth
menu does it wake back up immediately. However, if I let the
screensaver activate on its own, it sleeps just fine and wakes back up
with a press of a remote button.

> Are you sure you don't want the machine to suspend?

Yes, I just want the screensaver to activate. Suspend threw a bunch of
errors that I don't even want to start to get into. It's an AppleTV so
the machine is dead silent even when not suspending and the power
consumption isn't bad when idle. It's in my bedroom and I just want
the screen black when I go to sleep.