[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 18:21:31 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
>> nvraid isn't software RAID; it's 'fakeraid'. The software RAID
>> under discussion is the sort managed by mdadm.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, "fakeraid" is a type of software RAID.  It probably
> isn't as good an implementation as Linux's, though.

Much worse than that.

A lot of them use their own binary blob in their fakeraid driver, and have very
limited/no support for newer kernel, and unlike Linux software raid you will
have to be careful on any kernel updates as the fakeraid driver will have to be
reinstalled for the new kernel if you want it to use that disk (or in some cases
even boot).   The fakeraid drive being out of kernel is a real issue.

                           Roger