[mythtv-users] Display only detected sometimes, "low-graphics mode" rest of time

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jun 17 19:02:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:27 AM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> 193p+ only some of the times.  I never had a problem with this monitor
>> in mythbuntu with the P4 system and the EVGA 6200 AGP card.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this means I have defective hardware?  I think I
>> have like 7 days to send stuff back if needed.
>>
>> Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> I searched for a solution and of course, there are lots of advice how
>> to get rid of this error when it is permanent (install the drivers)
>> but nothing for a sometimes problem.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> I have a couple of Panasonic 50" plasma sets connected to Ubuntu 7.10 by
> 50' DVI->HDMI cables and the computer is not able to read any EDID info
> from them. What I did was hookup a short (6' RadioShack brand) DVI->HDMI
> cable. With that cable I could sometimes get EDID info from the TVs.
> With the short cable connected I started X with 'start -- -logverbose 6'
> and then looked through /var/log/Xorg.0.log to find the raw EDID bytes
> from the TV. Once I had the EDID info I saved it into a file and told
> the Nvidia driver to use that. I also had to set a few overrides because
> many older TV sets give out conflicting EDID info. Once that was done I
> got a consistent picture on the sets. Here is a bit of
> my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with some of the relevant info:
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier      "Failsafe Device"
>        Boardname       "vesa"
>        Busid           "PCI:0:5:0"
>        Driver          "nvidia"
>        Screen  0
>        Option          "AddARGBVisuals"        "True"
>        Option          "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
>        Option          "NoLogo"        "True"
>        #Option         "ModeValidation"
> "DPF-0:AllowNon60HzDFPModes,NoMaxPClkCheck,NoEdidMaxPClkCheck,AllowInterlacedModes,NoMaxSizeCheck,NoHorizSyncCheck,NoVertRefreshCheck,NoWidthAlignmentCheck,NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck,NoVirtualSizeCheck,NoVesaModes,NoEdidModes,NoXServerModes,NoPredefinedModes,NoUserModes"
>        # The next line works and allows both 1080i and 720p, but 1080i
> is shaky
>        #Option         "ModeValidation"
> "NoHorizSyncCheck,NoVertRefreshCheck"
>        Option          "ModeValidation" "DFP-0:
> NoHorizSyncCheck,NoVirtualSizeCheck,NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
>        Option          "connectedMonitor"      "DFP-0"
>        Option          "CustomEDID"
> "DFP-0:/etc/X11/PANASONIC-edid.bin"
> EndSection
>

> There is a lot of extra crap in there from my testing. The best thing I
> found when fighting with a set was to always start X from the command
> line with logverbose 6. If you have a certain mode that is failing the
> Xorg.0.log file will tell you why the driver rejected it. My TV at home
> was quite a problem until I upgraded to Mythbuntu 8.04. Prior to that I
> fought with it and an onboard 6150. Now that I use an 8400 PCI-e card
> the driver can autodetect everything just fine. I don't know if the
> newer card or the driver were the fix, but things are better now for me.

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

I take it that the critical lines are:
        Option          "ModeValidation" "DFP-0:
 NoHorizSyncCheck,NoVirtualSizeCheck,NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
        Option          "connectedMonitor"      "DFP-0"
        Option          "CustomEDID"
 "DFP-0:/etc/X11/PANASONIC-edid.bin"

and that you saved something in the PANASONIC-edid.bin file.

Three questions come up.
1) Should I just get another video card that works?  Which one?
2) What is in the .bin file?  Can you share that?
3) Could the information in the .bin  file be put directly into xorg.conf?

Thanks again,

Allen