[mythtv-users] OT: 2.0 mm pitch USB Header on Motherboard

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Jun 17 20:11:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:04 PM,  <joe.white at wachovia.com> wrote:

> I am running a MythFrontend on a SN10000EG via motherboard.  The USB header
> on the MB is 12-pin 2.0mm pitch as opposed to the standard(?) 10 pin 2.5 mm
> pitch.  This makes plugging the Internal Card Reader onto that header
> problematic.  The only adapter I have found is at Logic Supply which only
> cover 10 of the 12 pins on the header.  Even they are unsure as to whether
> it will work.   Has anyone encountered this before?  Has anyone resolved it?

Howdy Joe,

Looking at the manual for your motherboard, assuming that VUSB4 = 5V,
then pins 1 through 9 are standard.  You could put a voltmeter on it
to verify that.

Pin 10 is a pin dedicated to the LED for a Via wireless module (this
is non-standard - standard USB has this as shield ground)
Pin 11 is an additional ground
Pin 12 is the RF (radio frequency) enable pin for the wireless module
combined with a general purpose I/O pin (pretty neat - there are lots
of other GPIO pins on this motherboard)

So long story short, as long as you clip the wire for pin 10, you
should be good to cover just 10 pins.  You won't have a shield on the
USB, but it should work just fine.

Why wouldn't they just put their non-standard stuff on pins 11 and 12
(or better yet - on a different connector) and leave 10 as the
shield??

Good luck,

    Marc