[mythtv-users] What IR receiver do you use?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 21:39:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> <snip/>

> maybe
> >>
> >> i use the IR receiver that came with the PVR-250 and the included
> >> remote.  love the remote ;)
> >>
> >> Kevin, what keyboard do you use?  i like the idea of not having to use
> >> LIRC :)
> >

> > When I bought it, it was this model:
> > http://www.cwol.com/keyboards/sk7551.htm
> > which looks like you can still get it from here:
> > http://www.pctekonline.com/skcomwirkeyw.html
> >
> > The details on the process are here with links to the cables, etc:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Programming_Remotes_as_Keyboards
>
> very cool.  looks like there are a couple models out there all in the
> $20 - $30 (US) range.  i wonder if the USB models would work without
>  having to use LIRC..?

Anything that would works as a keyboard to Linux would work fine.  That's
really the key of it all.  Once you're sending keystrokes to Linux, LIRC is
completely out of the loop.  I like that particular keyboard also because
the joystick is easy to use when I need to pull out the keyboard and use a
mouse plus it has the multimedia keys which I was able to also map to
buttons so either on the remote or keyboard if I hit "Power", the frontend
recycles by running script.

Kevin