[mythtv-users] Display only detected sometimes, "low-graphics mode" rest of time

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Jun 18 02:48:04 UTC 2008

I have done more searching on finding the cause of this.  I think it
is a Ubuntu 8.04 bug.  There have been several bug reports of exactly
the problem I am having (30% of the time boots in low resolution mode)
although people report that it if fixed with the new Nvidia driver.
Well, I have an even newer driver and the problem is still there.  I
have 169.12.

I see that Nvidia has 173.14.09 and I wanted to download that.  One
problem after another.  First was stopping X.  I figured that out:
"CTRL-ALT-F1" then "killall  gdm".  That gets rid of X but the driver
still will not install because of the "No precompiled kernel
interface..." error.

I searched that and found that Envyng is a way to update the nvidia
driver for Ubuntu.  Using Envyng,  un-installed and re-installed the
Nvidia driver but I ended up with 169.12!!!  Back where I started and
the problem is still there.

One post suggested re-installing Mythbuntu 8.04 with the "irqpoll"
option.  That is a lot of work for a shot as most of the things you
try don't work.

Anyone know if this works?

Allen