[mythtv-users] What IR receiver do you use?

matt lutz myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:09:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Carl Reynolds <
mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I have a system I've been running MythTV on for a couple of years. I've
> been using a keyboard to control the system, but am interested in
> hooking up an IR receiver to use a remote.
>
> I wanted to find out what receivers other people are using that might be
> a good choice for me.
>
> I would like to connect the receiver to a USB port on the machine and I
> have a Universal Electronics remote I would like to try. I think what I
> want is a universal receiver, but I'm not sure about that.
>
> I do know that I would like the receiver to come with at least some
> documentation as to how to use it and how to set up the remote and/or
> the receiver so they will work with each other. I actually have an IR
> receiver that I got several years ago with no documentation and have
> recently tried to get it to work, but not been able to get it to receive
> a signal from the remote and give it to lirc, so I think documentation
> with the receiver is probably pretty important.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions you might have about the IR receivers
> you're using and how easy you found them to setup.
>

> Thanks,
> Carl.

I use the Xbox remote receiver.  plugs into a USB port and works with RCA
remotes.  I just programed my universal remote for an RCA DVD, and it works
pretty good.  You have to use the ati_usb module for lirc.

If you don't mind spending the money though, the MCE remote is probably the
most painless option.
Matt