[mythtv-users] Could realtime commercial flagging cause hard lockup/freeze/hang?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Jun 18 17:44:36 UTC 2008

At 10:12 AM -0600 6/18/08, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>I might think that, but I have been using the exact same hardware
>without changes for 4-5 months, the only change I did then was
>upgrading the processor to the 4200+ dual core

I vote for heat. A faster processor will usually generate more heat,
especially when doing something like commercial detection. If you
have something that is slowing the CPU fan down, try speeding it back
up.

After I bought a new 5000+ and motherboard for my frontend box, I
shifted a P4 motherboard to the backend. Until I found the right fan
speed to keep it cool, the P4 would lock up at random times while
commflagging or transcoding.