[mythtv-users] media mvp

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jun 18 18:11:12 UTC 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Kevin Robbins wrote:

> Hey again list....
>
> I have recently learned that a hauppauge media mvp will work as a
> front end with no configuration. Is this true?? Is there ay
> limitation as far as the firmware version or revision numbers of the
> mvp? I'm itching a responce, I will buy two today if this is the
> case. I'm sick of the VIA EPIA m-10000 saga!!

It will play media files, but that's it. You are limited to what upnp
will provide. This means no commercial skipping or any other frontend
function aside from playing back a file that has been recorded. I
considered a upnp playback device for my bedroom and ended up getting
an AppleTV for $229, reformatting the drive and installing mythbuntu
on it. Now I can do anything one would expect from a frontend and it's
small, quiet and uses little power. The only drawback is the limited
number of buttons on the remote. I hope to fix that soon with some
tricks I've read about online.