[mythtv-users] media mvp

Kevin Robbins robbinsck1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:48:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Kevin Robbins wrote:
> >
> >> Hey again list....
> >>
> >> I have recently learned that a hauppauge media mvp will work as a
> >> front end with no configuration. Is this true?? Is there ay
> >> limitation as far as the firmware version or revision numbers of the
> >> mvp? I'm itching a responce, I will buy two today if this is the
> >> case. I'm sick of the VIA EPIA m-10000 saga!!
> >
> > It will play media files, but that's it. You are limited to what upnp
> > will provide. This means no commercial skipping or any other frontend
> > function aside from playing back a file that has been recorded. I
> > considered a upnp playback device for my bedroom and ended up getting
> > an AppleTV for $229, reformatting the drive and installing mythbuntu
> > on it. Now I can do anything one would expect from a frontend and it's
> > small, quiet and uses little power. The only drawback is the limited
> > number of buttons on the remote. I hope to fix that soon with some
> > tricks I've read about online.
>
> If you are using the replacement tftpboot file it has a setup to directly
> access
> mythtv stuff (both the backend and the mysql database) and with that you
> can
> also schedule recordings, delete recordings, and there is a commercial skip
> option for the recordings.
>
>                          Roger

Ok so by the looks I will need to tftp boot the device from the backend
server and I can only do SD content. Does this mean I wont be able to view
ripped dvd's I have stored in my backend nfs share? Or are the 720X480? and
will work?

Also, is it true that in order to have this thing tftp boot I must use dhcp
with the backend or can I just have my dd-wrt be my dhcp router?