[mythtv-users] ticket locking

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jun 18 19:10:54 UTC 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Remco Treffkorn wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> Sorry dude!

Apology accepted.

> A bug report of any kind is information. As it ages its significance
> declines
> if no data is added. Eventually it can fade away...

Right.

> The open source development model is not different from closed
> source in the
> handling of bugs. If the "customer" reports a bug, but can not provide
> detail, the report stays active till dis-prooven or it dies of old
> age.
>
> A statement like  "There is no QA. We are all QA..."  is confusing
> to me.

Let me explain. Quality Assurance Engineers are not assigned to this
project. Everyone who runs the software is providing quality assurance.

> And "you're the only one with your environment that is causing the
> issue"
> sounds a lot like blaming the user.

I was just stating a fact. His environment is causing the issue. He is
the only one with his environment.

> I maintain both o/s and commercial s/w. I treat all my "customers"
> the same.

So do I.

> They help me make my s/w better. Every bug report helps me. If I can
> not get
> enough information from the user, I say "Thank you" and let the bug
> stand
> till somebody else provides input, or it ages...

I agree that the bug should have been left open until the point where
people start arguing in the bug report instead of providing useful
information.

> This is the only "users" list I am subscribed to, but it really
> upsets me more
> than all the dev lists together.

There are unsubscribe instructions at link at the bottom of the email
if it gets to the point where you're too upset to continue to read the
list.