[mythtv-users] good capture card?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jun 19 03:14:21 UTC 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 8:03 PM, Depo Catcher wrote:

> I only have 1 PCI slot free.  It's in the back of the computer.
> It's an AMD X2 6000+ computer.
>
> Phil Bridges wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Depo Catcher
>> <depocatcher at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to capture TV channels in the United States and watch them
>>> on my
>>> linux.
>>> Like a TV.
>>>
>>> peter at vanderwal.us wrote:
>>>
>>> Kinda depends on what you want to capture.
>>>

>>> What's a good capture card that works under MythTV?
>>>

>> Please don't top-post.
>>
>> Do you want to record analog or digital channels, or both?

Please stop top-posting and posting multiple replies to the same
message. It's hard to answer your questions when you do either of
those things.

You should be more concerned about how you are going to get the video/
audio signal from the cable provider before you are concerned with a
capture card. There are thousands of messages in the archives about
capturing television from cable. The card itself should be your last
decision. You should understand DVB, QAM, 5C encryption, capturing
video from a STB via analog, via firewire, if your cable box offers
anything useful from the firewire port (in which case you do not need
a capture card at all), how you plan on changing channels on the STB
you have, etc. You also need to consider your end use. A large LCD or
Plasma Display? Laptop computer screen? Standard definition TV?
Streaming over the web? Handheld video device?