[mythtv-users] good capture card?

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Thu Jun 19 04:42:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 22:36 -0500, Depo Catcher wrote:

> Top posting?
>
> I talked to the Best buy guy, he said suggested a few cards and said
> they would work with any cable provider.  But said they would only
> work in Windows.  Why does linux have all these different formats and
> encryption?  My friend has an apple and he just plugged the cable in
> and it worked.  I want a card just like that, but works in
> Linux/MythTV.

There are many different ways you can broadcast TV..
DVB-T
DVB-S
DVB-S2
DVB-C

So it depends on what the source of your TV signal is? From your Comment
your Source is Cable TV maybe? So you will need probably need a DVB-C
Card. Also is the Source encryted or "FTA" (free to air). If Encrypted
you will need a CI/Cam to put your access card into it. (if its
supported)

Then you have to find which hardware is supported under linux. (look on
linuxtv.org/google)

If you can give more information like who your provider is for TV /where
you are etc etc people might be able to help you more.

Thanks