[mythtv-users] Looking for a recommendation for a PCI-Express video card with TV-Out

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 15:23:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Kirk Bauer <kirk at kaybee.org> wrote:

> I looked through the online docs but it is so hard to tell how dated
> some of that is, and I couldn't really find any listed working cards
> that are PCI-Express.
>
> Can anybody tell me the best video card with PCI-Express with NTSC
> TV-Out (composite) that works well with Linux/MythTV?

Cards based on the NVIDIA 6000 chipset are probably the best bet without
breaking the bank for PCIe and can be found in fanless configurations.  The
only drawback between this and the old standby of the FX5200 (AGP or PCI) is
that if your CPU can't handle HD and you're using XvMC then your OSD is
black and white.  Other than that, it seems to be the best card for the
job.  Maybe something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121019

Another option that is becoming very appealing (if you're desiging a system)
is a motherboard with integrated Intel graphics.  Intel now has excellent
XvMC support for HD watching and it saves you having to put another card in
your system in the first place.

Kevin