[mythtv-users] ticket locking

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 19 16:43:02 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> 1.  He has yet to post his top numbers or any other benchmark of his
> "issue" despite others here doing so

See 'my word'.
I saw 40%.
Now the disk is dead so sorry, you'll have to wait a while.

> 2.  He *believes* there is a problem because a process grows in memory
> from 10% to 40% over time with no evidence other than that to base his
> claim on

The system starts, mythbackend loads and runs.
We are at 9.x% or so on my 1GB system.
Yes, these numbers are from memory.
You explain why that number can easily quadruple over time for and for
waht reason. Buffers are allocated at startup. Just three channels are
recorded, 6 at maximum at any time (pre- and postroll).
So until this max usage is hit it can grow.
If the process continues to grow after this occasion we might have an issue.
If the process continues to grow at an abnormal rate we might have an issue.
(yes, opinions and they're mine)

> I guess I should consider all the processes on my PC to be leaking
> memory because they all pretty much do that.

All your process grow steadily into the double digit numbers?
So your RAM fills up or your swap does or both?

> Just because he can't
> imagine why a process would do that doesn't make it a bug.

Amen.