[mythtv-users] mythweb and the Nokia N95

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 19 19:34:29 UTC 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008 17:05:04 xavier hervy wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 00:08 +0100, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> <snip>
> > That's most likely correct. Most mobiles will only play 3gp format files (some will play m4v too), and many will only support rtsp for streaming. I think what youtube do for mobile content is transcode to H.263 with AMR audio in a 3gp container (quite possibly on-the-fly), though I'd be very pleased to be proven wrong on that count. Perhaps someone with an iPhone would know?
> >
> > Most mobiles are pretty fussy about what they will play, though the N95 is far less fussy than most. I've seen some that will only play a file that's 15fps for instance. You could try transcoding to QVGA (320x240), H.263 with AMR-NB audio and try streaming that - that type of file will play on almost anything (hell my Motorola Slivr will play that, and that's a *rubbish* phone if ever there was one), and then you'd be able to narrow it down to the file format or the streaming protocol.
> >
> > Mark
> Hi,
> I modified mythweb to produce mp4 file (n95 compliant) when requested
> http://server/mythweb/stream/channel_startime.mp4 the same way mythweb
> does with flv, unfortunately ffmpeg complain:
> muxer does not support non seekable output
>
> my command is :
> ffmpeg -y -i /home/mythtv/recordings/1037_20080510130000.nuv -s 320x240
> -r 15 -f mp4 -ac 2 -ar 24000 -ab 64 -b 250000 /dev/stdout
> If i replace /dev/stdout by a file it work great (even if it is
> complaining about a low bitrate) same with 3gp
> any idea ?
> Xavier

I'm no ffmpeg expert - but I know that with 3gp files you have to write some information into the header, but this information is only known once you have completed the encoding. So you have to encode the file, leaving space for the header, and then write the header once you have finished. This would tally with the error message - in that ffmpeg would be trying to write the file and then seek back to the start of the file in order to write the header. Obviously if the file is 'stdout' it can't do this. In this case I can't see that writing 3gp to stdout could ever work. Which is a shame.

On the N95 subject I spoke to the expert at work today. The N95 will play Flash natively although in what container he wasn't certain, but it definitely requires rtsp for streaming - http will not work. Any Apache experts out there..??

Mark