[mythtv-users] Slow mo channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 20 02:47:00 UTC 2008

On 06/19/2008 08:02 PM, Shawn Hamzee wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 06/18/2008 07:29 AM, Shawn Hamzee wrote:
>>> I have had mythtv running on my ubuntu 7.10 machine for a while. i get
>>> great hd pictures on nbc, public tv station, cw and cbs; however, fox
>>> and abc are not perfect. it appears the pictures is somewhat of a slow
>>> motion and then it stutters every 2 or 3 seconds also.
>> Are you running X at 1920x1080? If so, it's probably a scaling issue
>> (i.e. you're not using Xv because you have a) a broken video driver, or
>> b) a broken video driver installation, or c) a broken video driver
>> configuration.
>   I am running the X at 1920x1080 perfectly.

And your 1920x1080 channels display without issue, but the channels
whose video must be scaled play back as "slow motion" (i.e. each frame
is taking so long to be handled that many frames have to be skipped).

>  I don't think there's a problem in X; otherwise, it would've notified me, wouldn't it?

:)  X actually tell you that there's a problem?  (Actually, if I'm
right, as far as X is concerned, there's no problem.  Your drivers just
make it think that your hardware doesn't handle scaling, so scaling gets
done in hardware.  It works, but it takes forever, in comparison.)

>   I am using ATI's latest proprietary drivers as I said before and everything else looks awesome on my HDMI LCD monitor except the two channels which by the way is said to be broadcasting at 720p.

Yep.  That's why my theory.

>   What I'd like to know is what can I do to help X to overcome this? I'd imagine there's a xorg.conf setting or option that can help me out.

Fix your drivers/driver installation/driver configuration, as required.

Try playing back video in xine (without deinterlacing).  I'll bet the
1080i plays without issue, but the 720p results in a dialog saying
something about, "Warning.  Taking too long to render frames..."

If so, that's proof positive that the problem isn't Myth.

Mike