[mythtv-users] The purpose of a Secondary Backend is...

Scott Harris mythtv at webhounds.net
Fri Jun 20 04:26:56 UTC 2008

glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> ...well I thought I knew but now I'm not sure. Is there any documentation somewhere discussing the virtues of Secondary Backends?
>
> I figured that a Secondary Backend was there to take some load off the Master but other that additional recordings I wasn't sure what they were for. I have found since that it is possible to run the database on a Secondary Backend but other than that...?
>
> I was interested to know if a Secondary Backend could run independently from the Master. EG, can you switch on the Secondary to watch something it recorded without having to have the Master on?
> I think I have found that you can't do that, it needs to see the database to be able to run, is that correct?
>
> OFF TOPIC
> If so, that is a shame because I was hoping I could create a portable PC that I could lug around to other peoples places or functions to watch recorded TV (sporting events, movies, etc). If it was easier to export recorded TV to AVI then I'd probably just do that but HDTV is just so pretty ;-)

Everyone else has given excellent technical reasons (off loading,
various spare hardware, network/storage issues), but here is a not
so technical real world reason:  I use satellite.  That would mean
running 4 wires into my living room to accommodate 4 different tuners.
Running wires in the house is a major PITA.  I have two wires where
I need them already.  I set up a slave backend in another room also
with two connections and I'm off and running!
Scott