[mythtv-users] Nokia N800 (was Re: Comcast to drop analog cable

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jun 21 03:25:25 UTC 2008

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>>> Not yet.  Someone's reportedly porting the frontend; I'm waiting to see
>>> how that comes out.
>>>
>>> If you share out your recordings directory in a fashion that the 800
>>> can see, you can likely use Mplayer (which *is* working nicely there)
>>> to play stuff, at least as long as the codec is supported -- I think
>>> Mplayer knows "real" NUV, and it certainly does MPEG2.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -- jra
>>
>> Does the N800 have the chops to play  SD mpeg2?  Its only got a 400MHz ARM
>> in
>> there...
>>

> I haven't downloaded the 2008OS yet, but IIRC the previous MPlayer only
> worked if the video had the right resolution.
> I think it would have to be transcoded to fit the N800 screen.  Even if
> the new Mplayer doesn't require that, it would certainly be faster if it
> didn'thave to rescale the video.
>
> I'll have to look into this when I get some free time.

I was just watching a transcoded avi of Dexter earlier tonight on my
N810, with mplayer, The N810 has the same ARM chip: IIRC, the N800 is
320MHz and the N810 is 400.

I don't remember what resolution I used on the transcode...I think I
used 400x240 but prossibly higher. I know I toyed with 800x480, but I
don't remember if this file was one of those. Since it plays full-screen
it's hard to tell.  No skips or glitches. The original was a 720p HD
recording.

Geoff